Monday, September 29, 2008

Grandpas

We had a lot of "Grandpa" moments this weekend.

On Saturday, Avery & I rode down to the lake with Mary, where we met up w/ JoeDel, Missy, Ryan and Roger for a much dreaded "cleaning day" The purpose was to get Bud's camper all cleaned out. It actually was not as bad as I had anticipated. It was sad, but not nearly as sad for me as everyone else since I hadn't been around long enough to really remember Bud's good days with the camper. It was mostly hard for me to hear Ryan talking about his papa. Avery probably won't remember him, but Ryan will never forget him and its just a sad thing.

The other "Grandpa" story relates to a phone call I got last night about my own Grandpa Dieterle. He has suffered a massive stroke and it looks like he'll be gone in a matter of days. Of course I am very sad. This is the only Grandpa I've ever really known...I barely remember my moms dad. Unfortunately, its the only Grandpa Avery has left too. Grandpa Dieterle is the only thing I have left of my dad and when it really hits me that he's not going to be around anymore, I am sure I will be very, very sad. For right now, I am holding up just fine. I knew this day was coming soon so its not a huge surprise. I am glad that my Aunt Elaine called to tell me about what was going on. She said she'd rather me know this other than just calling to tell me that he's gone. I really do appreciate that.

I'm so glad we took our trip to St. Louis last month. Here we are with Grandpa and my brother Preiss and his family.

1 comments:

Stacy Birk said...

Julie, I am sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I am glad you all got to visit him in July. You are in my thoughts and prayers honey.