Monday, September 08, 2008

Innocence Lost

I have bad news - the Trojans lost their game. Not a big surprise, really, but sad all the same.

I have good news - my explorer is sold! I am excited, but sad all at the same time. Thinking back, that car really represents a lot during the life of Julie. I lived in Nashville in the Summer of 2002. It was the weekend of my birthday when I flew back home and found the explorer. I was spending that weekend with my boyfriend at the time, the Farmboy. The next weekend, my good friend and roomie at the time - Heather Davis - road triped in the ranger to G-town so I could trade in my truck and get the explorer. I LOVED IT from the very beginning. It was exactly what I had wanted and it made me feel like I "fit-in" in Nashville...a town where EVERYONE at the time seemed to be driving a SUV.

I moved home at the end of that summer...leaving the dream of Nashville behind as I left in that white explorer. It stayed with me as I moved into the rental out in the country, the first place I'd ever had "on my own" Then, it went with me as I purchased my house in the Spring of 2003. Many of the miles I put on it from 03-05 were probably spent driving back and forth to St. Paul for reasons most of you know. (Including one really bad trip home from there with a best friend and the "reasons most of you know guy" - a night I'll be glad to put to rest forever with the sale of this car). I remember a trip to Wichita with Sally and Amanda in the ole explorer. That was a fun, random trip in which Sally "didn't really stay" with us. he he. Or, what about the ever classic adventure (was it memorial day or labor day, i cannot remember...I'm thinking labor day) to Bass Pro Shop in which we loaded up the explorer with Audrey, Sally, Susan, Lenny & Brian Wells. Even though I was annoyed for over 1/2 of the trip, it was still one of the best adventures EVER. I can't remember for sure, but I would probably bet the Explorer was the one that took us to Walnut Bar on March 15, 2005....the night I met my husband. It was the car I often drove to my appointments at Dr. Shaw's office when I was expecting Avery...the car we took to KC for our first "Girls Weekend" in which we listened to more Cardinals Baseball than I ever had before (Thanks, J!!!!).

I could probably think up a few more stories, but I think I'm done for now. I'm glad the car is sold, but I will be sad tonight when I see it leave my driveway for the last time. That car represents the "single Julie" and the wild but really fun times I had. The new car, my MINIVAN, sitting in my GARAGE (Whoo hoo, a car fits in my garage finally thanks to my hubby), represents the mom and wife that I am today. Why is it so hard to let go of the little ties we have to our past when, in fact, we are so happy with where we are now and excited about our futures?

Hope everyone has a great week!

0 comments: